The role of the Financial Controller is to work alongside the General Manager and senior management of ARC, as well as the senior team at the racecourse to ensure the continued growth and secure financial health of the business. You will provide expert financial guidance and hold overall responsibility for the respective courses financial strategy to deliver the business objectives.
This will include effective management of the courses capital budgets, debt and working capital position, IT and accounting systems and compliance with all legislative and audit requirements.
Key responsibilities for the role will include
- Form a close working relationship with the General Manager.
- Develop and control the courses annual operating budget to ensure all of the agreed financial targets are met and all statutory regulations are complied with.
- Provide strategic and financial guidelines to ensure the courses financial commitments are met.
- Working with the GM and senior commercial team to contribute to the development of the courses strategy, challenging assumptions and providing analytical feedback to allow a sound decision making basis supported by comprehensive guidance on plans, targets and business drivers.
- Work with the GM and senior commercial team on setting price strategy and maintain close involvement with ongoing key commercial negotiations.
- Create and maintain a strong culture of cost control within the courses.
- Act as a conduit between racing, operations and finance to ensure maximum benefit is achieved through race planning and the financial investment into the racing product, both commercially and on an industry level.
- Oversee the financial management and reporting of race day functions, including pre raceday forecast and post raceday results, providing detailed explanations for variances to plan. Maintain visibility throughout the race day at key entry points ensuring customers are processed through turnstiles and advanced entry points quickly and with valid tickets.
- Instigate and manage (where required) any recovery plans to address under/poor performance.
- Responsibility for the financial management and reporting of all development projects.
- Take overall control of the accounting systems and ensuring they are robust, compliant and that all of the necessary policies and procedures are in place to maintain effective financial management within the courses.
- Manage and report on the courses balance sheets ensuring the correct treatment is applied to capital requirements, debt, equity, additions and disposals.
- Monitor and review all external contracts to ensure services provided by suppliers provide the best value to the company and are operated effectively.
- Oversee the preparation of the courses financial accounts ensuring these are presented accurately and on time with full supporting data.
- Work with any appointed internal / external audit representative to assist in developing a sound internal audit procedure to comply with all financial procedures and regulations.
- Carry out all necessary actions to ensure that the course meets its financial and legal obligations including the requirements of all statutory bodies,
- Oversee the preparation of the weekly / monthly financial reporting process and prepare accurate and timely board reports on areas such as capital development and management accounting.
- Work with the GM and senior commercial team on any proposals for capital investment within the business ensuring detailed rational and return on investment models are prepared and presented.
- Take an active lead on any group initiatives that will benefit and develop the courses.
- Establish a high level of credibility to manage strong working relationships with peers, subordinates, external parties and stakeholders.
- Qualified member of an accountancy body or holder of an equivalent qualification.
- Must hold a full driving license, with the ability to travel across multiple sites.
- Minimum of 3 years post-graduation experience
- Racecourse, sport or leisure background an advantage
- Commercially astute, articulate, technically strong, dynamic, insightful, influential leader and experience of leading both strategic and operational teams.
- Strong IT, analytic and modelling skills
- Excellent communicator
- Ability to influence at all levels
- Works well under pressure
- Ability to handle high levels of pressure and critical decision making.
- Customer service focused (internal and external).
- Organised, systematic and process driven.
- Flexible approach towards working patterns and the ability to work to meet the needs of the business.
- Energetic, highly motivated and an enquiring mind with a passion for excellence and innovation in pursuit of business growth and success.
At ARC, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability that requires reasonable adjustments, please let us know; we will ensure that individuals with additional needs are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process and to perform essential job functions.
We understand the value that diversity brings to our business and we are striving to create a working environment that is inclusive, psychologically and physically safe and ensures everyone can be heard and valued for their contributions. We are committed to making a consistent, top-down effort to be role models on what diversity, inclusion and belonging means in society.