Ffoslas Racecourse have an exciting opportunity to join their Grounds team.
Contract type: Fixed Term Contract for 6 months
Hours of work: 40 hrs per week annualised.
Your normal hours of work in any 5 days out of 7 are:
- Summer Hours 42.5 per week (1 April –30 September inclusive) 7.30am – 4.30pm.
- Winter Hours 37.5 per week (1 October – 31 March inclusive) 8.00am – 4.00pm
About the role:
To assist in maintaining a quality racing surface all year round. Maintenance of the outside areas to the highest possible standard of presentation. To assist in the maintenance of buildings and equipment as well as assisting in the operational aspects of Racedays and Events.
Key responsibilities for the role will include:
This is a challenging yet rewarding role for a motivated individual. Although part of a team, working with one’s own initiative is vital in delivering the responsibilities within this role.
• Under the direction of the Clerk of the Course, carry out a maintenance programme for the course. The work entails working outside in changing and often inclement weather conditions and can be physically demanding.
• To assist in preparing the course for racing – to include preparation and reinstatement of the course before, after and during racing, this to include; use of tractors, machinery and other maintenance equipment as required.
• To assist in cleaning out the stable after a race meeting.
• Maintain all lawn and garden areas and parade rings with particular attention to raceday and event presentation.
• General maintenance of external areas, to include car parks, tracks, tarmac areas and horsebox park.
• Ensure all external areas are free from weeds, rubbish and leaves.
• You are required to use various gardening, agricultural equipment, machinery, vehicles and chemicals in the process of carrying out your duties.
• Abide by all regulations and safe working practices in accordance with current legislation and as detailed in the Company’s Health and Safety Policy and Procedures.
• Due to the nature of this role, working unsocial hours will be a frequent occurrence, including late evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays.
• Work well in a team and have initiative to work by yourself.
• Working closely with GM / Clerk of Course and other officials such as BHA.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties. The racecourse business is a dynamic and challenging environment and on occasion you will be required to assist in duties outside of those detailed in this job description and therefore a flexible approach is required.
Essential’s skills / Qualifications required:
• 1st Aid trained (desirable)
• Equine awareness – to include site specific requirements and handling (desirable)
• Excellent time management skills
• Excellent attendance record
• Flexible approach to working
• Self-motivation and drive
• Work ethic and attitude
• Works well under pressure
• Good Communication Skills
• Enjoy outdoor working
• Full & Clean UK driving licence
This role is part of the grounds team at the racecourse and you will be expected to participate in any grounds team meetings relating to all elements of the operational delivery of the racecourse and associated events.
To comply with all Health and Safety procedures associated with the department at all times. This relates to:
• Standards and procedures of correct working practices
• The completion of risk assessments
• COSHH regulations
• Use of Personal Protective Equipment
To control wastage and operate according to the Companies environment policy with regard to:
• product control and waste minimisation
• proper care and maintenance of equipment to prolong its life
• using towels in appropriate quantity to minimise unnecessary laundering
• proper separation and disposal of cardboard, paper and glass in recycling bins
• minimising energy wastage by switching off unused lights, heating, PCs and equipment
To be an ambassador for ARC and for our site, taking personal responsibility for finding out about our product and services, and at all times striving to represent the Company in the most professional, courteous and efficient manner possible.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties, and you will be expected to perform different tasks as necessitated by your changing role within the organisation and the overall business objectives of the organisation.
At ARC, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant, more competitive, and more resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. We are an equal opportunities employer and do not discriminate on the grounds of gender, sexual orientation, marital or civil partner status, pregnancy or maternity, gender reassignment, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin, religion or belief, disability or age. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
If you have a disability that requires reasonable adjustments, please let us know; we will ensure that individuals with additional needs are provided reasonable adjustments to participate in the job application or interview process and to perform essential job functions.
We understand the value that diversity brings to our business and we are striving to create a working environment that is inclusive, psychologically and physically safe and ensures everyone can be heard and valued for their contributions. We are committed to making a consistent, top-down effort to be role models on what diversity, inclusion and belonging means in society.