In this role you will be responsible for all activity, racing and non-racing on site. You will report to the Greyhound Operations Director and will ensure targets are met or exceeded and provide explanations for deviancies. Your responsibilities will include but are not limited to ensuring all Health & Safety responsibilities on site are adhered to and documented, the site meets its financial targets by controlling costs and driving sales through race and non-race events, all conditions imposed on the business by Government, Local Authority, Gambling Commission and The Greyhound Board of Great Britain (GBGB) are met or exceeded and the site remains compliant in all areas. You will ultimately be responsible for the racing operation, third party speedway use of the site, all recruitment and training on the site, stock control, maintenance and customer service and will strive to make the site the best it can be.
This role may require travel across different sites from time to time and a variable working week pattern to meet the needs of the business, including weekends. Managing race meetings, EVH functions & events.
Key responsibilities for the role will include:
- Liaise closely with the Greyhound Operations Director regarding revenue budgets and cost targets. Ensure targets are met and provide explanations for deviancies. Liaise with Financial Controller for the site to ensure the site is the best it can be commercially.
- Keep up to date with legislative/industry changes to ensure the site remains compliant in all areas.
- Manage and support department heads to ensure their targets are achieved and therefore the site runs smoothly.
- Maintain the company’s health and safety management system.
- Discuss with the relevant ARC department leaders and implement emergency procedures in line with the Group Health and Safety policy for all eventualities including race days, events and venue hire.
- To observe all aspects of service (including hospitality, snack bar, bar, tote) within the Stadium and ensure standards are at their highest and issues are dealt with efficiently and professionally.
- Ensure customers have a positive experience within the Stadium and that customer service is considered at all times.
- To comply with any legislative requirements including Health and Safety / Food Safety/
Liquor Licensing / Gambling Commission / Local Authority / GBGB.
- Oversee preparation of the site and buildings for all events ensuring an operational plan is in place for all events and that buildings, and kennels, are clean, tidy and well maintained.
- Understand the GBGB Rules of Racing, ensure compliance with them and prioritise welfare.
- Ensure there is an on-going maintenance programme that suits the demands of the business including waste disposal & recycling. Check that agreed work by staff or contractors has been completed satisfactorily and follow up on any deficiencies, monitoring all contractors to ensure they work in accordance with the company’s code of practice for contractors.
- Ensure site security at all times.
- Work with suppliers to ensure that key processes are running efficiently and cost-effectively.
- Calculate and compare costs for required goods and services to achieve maximum value for money.
- Recruit new staff as appropriate, delegate responsibility to your team, monitor performance levels, motivate and hold regular briefings.
- Ensure all departments are adequately staffed whilst managing a pool of casual staff.
- Responsible for reviewing, reporting and investigating accidents and incidents.
- To ensure that the best methods, practices and systems of work are being utilised and to maintain detailed records of work completed in each area.
- To ensure that the product is delivered efficiently and exceeds customer expectations and ensure that excellent customer service and standards are provided at all times and that the team are clear on the expectations.
- Attend and respond appropriately to emergencies or urgent issues as they arise.
- Cash reconciliation and meeting return reports to be completed and prepare reports and statistics for accounts.
- Identify, cost and implement capital expenditure projects for the site that will increase efficiency, profitability and enhance the customer experience, or are required to achieve necessary compliance.
- Control spend and build a culture of long-term saving on procurement costs.
- Act as a representative for the stadia and ARC at all times, leading by example to all other team members.
- Business or Event qualification would be an advantage
- Skilled with computers including office packages and social media
- First Aid trained.
- Personal license holder.
- IOSH/NEBOSH/Level 3 or above Spectator Safety Supervision would be an advantage.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in a similar role.
- Greyhound, sports or leisure stadia background would be an advantage.
- High level of interpersonal skills.
- Logical approach to tasks.
- Excellent approach towards time management.
- Works well under pressure.
- Customer service focused (internal and external).
- Organised, systematic and process driven.
Key Performance Indicators:
- Completing tasks within a deadline.
- Maintaining costs within budgeted parameters.
- Customer feedback on effective event delivery
- Effective undertaking of key duties.
- Compliance with legislation, Government Guidance & regulatory bodies.