About the role
To assist in maintaining a quality racing surface all year round. Maintenance of the outside areas to the highest possible standard of presentation. To assist in the maintenance of buildings and equipment as well as assisting in the operational aspects of Racedays and Events.
Key responsibilities for the role will include
This is a challenging yet rewarding role for a motivated individual. Although part of a team, working with one’s own initiative is vital in delivering the responsibilities within this role.
- Under the direction of the Estates manager, carry out a maintenance programme for the course. The work entails working outside in changing and often inclement weather conditions and can be physically demanding.
- To assist in preparing the course for racing – to include preparation and reinstatement of the course before, after and during racing, this to include: - Use of tractors, machinery, other equipment required in the physical movement of the running rail, fence wings, irrigation pipes and other maintenance equipment as required.
- To assist in cleaning out the stables after a race meeting
- Maintain all lawn and garden areas and Parade Ring with particular attention to Raceday and event presentation.
- General maintenance of external areas, to include car parks, tracks, tarmac areas and Horsebox Park.
- Ensure all external areas are free from weeds, rubbish and leaves.
- You will be required to use various gardening, agricultural equipment, machinery, vehicles and chemicals in the process of carrying out your duties.
- Abide by all regulations and safe working practices in accordance with current legislation and as detailed in the Company’s Health and Safety Policy and Procedures
- Due to the nature of this role, working unsocial hours will be a frequent occurrence, including late evenings, weekends and Bank Holidays.
- Work well in a team and have initiative to work by yourself.
- Working closely with Clerk of Course and other officials such as BHA.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties. The racecourse business is a dynamic and challenging environment and on occasion you will be required to assist in duties outside of those detailed in this job description and therefore a flexible approach is required.
Skills and Qualities
- Excellent time management skills
- Excellent attendance record
- Flexible approach to working
- Works well under pressure
- Good Communication Skills
- Enjoy outdoor working
This role is part of the grounds team at the Racecourse and you will be expected to participate in any grounds team meetings relating to all elements of the operational delivery of the racecourse and associated events.
The successful candidate will have previous experience working in a fast paced and demanding environment. You will work well under pressure and will be organised and efficient. Any experience within a similar role will be a significant advantage.
If this sounds like the role for you, we would love to hear from you!