Royal Windsor Racecourse
Hours of work:
40 hours, based of 5 days out of 7, additional hours to meet business needs
Catering General Manager
About the role:
Reporting to the Catering General Manager, the Head Chef will organise and supervise all kitchen operations, maintaining high food quality and complying with hygiene regulations. Controlling costs in general and good staff relations as well as maintaining all legal and company health and safety standards. You will be responsible for managing Chefs, Trainees, and Kitchen Porters. The remit will encompass all food preparation across all areas of Royal Windsor Racecourse both for racedays and non racedays.
Key responsibilities for the role will includeLiaise closely with the Catering GM regarding revenue budgets and cost targets. Ensure targets are met and provide explanations for deviancies.To purchase within agreed parameters, ensuring the budgeted food GP is achieved.To implement and adhere to the Company Food Safety Management System across all areas within remit.To ensure all menus are costed to achieve the targeted GP%.Coordinate stock takes as required.Actively assist in future purchases and major redevelopment schemes for the kitchen areas.Ensure all EHO food safety and production requirements are met and maintained to current standards.Ensure quality control at all times throughout production process from raw material to ready plated end product.Control portion size and waste factors at all times, directly influencing GP.To create menus in line with customer and market trends, ensuring a high quality, value for money offering is available at all times.To ensure a safe working environment at all times.Continually update production and presentation methods to realise optional costs and maximum guest satisfaction.Observe, maintain and drive all Health & Safety and Hygiene policies.To meet clients when required to assist in menu planning.Maintain good communication between Kitchen and other departments.In liaison with the Catering General Manager to arrange training for staff as appropriate.Manage the Kitchen staff rotaAllocate daily workload appropriately to staff, maintaining effectiveness and operational control. Including record absence/sickness of all direct reportsComplete regular job and performance reviews with your team in line with company guidelines.
GENERALTo comply with all Health and Safety procedures associated with the department at all times. This relates to:
To control wastage and operate according to the Companies environment policy with regard to:
- Standards and procedures of correct working practices
- The completion of risk assessments
- COSHH regulations
- Use of Personal Protective Equipment
To be an ambassador for Royal Windsor Racecourse, taking personal responsibility for finding out about our product and services, and at all times striving to represent the Racecourses in the most professional, courteous and efficient manner possible.
- product control and waste minimisation
- proper care and maintenance of equipment to prolong its life
- proper separation and disposal of cardboard, paper and glass in recycling bins
- minimising energy wastage by switching off unused lights, heating, PCs and equipment
- Educated to “A” level or equivalent.
- Experience as a Head Chef in high quality operations environment
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong banqueting background
- Some retail / restaurant experience
- Excellent communicator
- Passionate about the kitchen environment and about our product
- Works well under pressure
- Organised, systematic and process driven