Reporting to the Director of Sales and working closely with the Executive Director, the Business Development Manager is responsible for generating significant levels of revenue from the key income lines for both raceday and event sales to ensure turnover and profit targets are met or exceeded.
The primary focus of the Business Development Manager is to maximise revenue in the following key areas; race day hospitality, restaurants and marquees, admissions and EVH (conferences, meetings, events, etc).
The role is completely sales orientated and will solely be focusing on generating new business for the resort. The key geographical areas to focus on are within the Yorkshire area, however given the scale of our events we are aiming to increase our portfolio of national clients.
As part of the role the Business Development Manager will be expected to work on the majority of race days. This will be mainly in a sales capacity but he/she may be required on occasions to be part of the operational team.
New business will be generated by a variety of methods including but not exclusively:
- High levels of lead creation (from social media, websites, newspapers, TV, radio, etc)
- Building business relationships
- Inviting prospects to race meetings/events
- Use of social media
- Cold calling
- Taking business from rival venues
- On race days and non-racing events there are numerous customer groups in attendance and it’s important to speak to as many of them as possible to unearth potential business.
- You will target and approach clients with ‘significant’ budgets to attract them to Doncaster Racecourse.
Skills & Experience
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in New Business Development
- Previous experience in proactive sales in a hospitality, leisure or sporting venues is essential
- Previous Business Development experience within a sporting venue is a distinct advantage
- Commercial awareness with the ability to negotiate, manage and shape venue contracts based on the commercial needs of the business.
- A thorough understanding of channels to market and able to create revenue opportunities on a resort wide level.
- A solid network of contacts on a regional l level with proven ability of developing key accounts.
- Knowledge and experience of working within large multi-faceted facilities
- A proven track record in a multi-faceted revenue sales role – e.g. C&B, Leisure & Racing
- Charisma and excellent people management skills
- Outstanding customer service and communication skills
- Qualified to a degree level is desirable
- Strategic thinker
- Organised and able to effectively to prioritise workload
- Calm under pressure
- Excellent communicator
- Creative thinker
- Relationship builder